Sunday, March 14, 2010

Review of Terry Pratchett's "Men at Arms"

Men at Arms (Discworld, #15) Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I'm probably biased, but I'm come to love everything I've read so far by Terry Pratchett, so perhaps my 5 stars should be taken with the proverbial "grain of salt". Still, I enjoyed this one immensely. The Discworld books sometimes have series within the overall series that follow a group of characters. This book is the 2nd in what I call the "Guards" series, following the Night Watch of Ankh-Morpork which is led by Sam Vimes.
After the events of Guards! Guards! the Watch is being expanded, both in number and in ethnicity. Affirmative action of a sort has come to the Watch, and the new hires include trolls, dwarves, and werewolves, among others. Sam Vimes is planning on retiring from the Watch after his upcoming wedding, and a series of mysterious murders is occuring with an apparently new type of weapon, which fires metal pellets through the air.
I recommend reading the book Guards, Guards first if you can, but like most all of the Disworld series that I've read, this one can stand alone or even be your first foray into the Discworld if this is the only book available at the moment. I definitely urge anyone who enjoys fantasy, adventure, humor, satire and a touch of hard boiled mystery to check this one out asap.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: