Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Colour of Magic, by Terry Pratchett (Discworld no. 1)

The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Although this is the first book in the Discworld series, it's actually the 2nd I've completed, The Wee Free Men being the first. I enjoyed this book, although having read a later book in the series showed me that Mr. Pratchett's writing has improved considerably over time. Still, this is a fun read for anyone who likes fantasy in general and humorous fantasy in particular. I came to really like inept magician Rincewind and his traveling companion Twoflower, first tourist in Discworld history (apparently) and caught several parodies of other famous fantasy works in the adventures the two men had while traversing Discworld. If you've read any of Leiber Fritz's works or those of Robert E. Howard you'll see what I mean. Probably there are many other allusions I've have caught if I was more well read in modern fantasy authors. But the novel is more than just a parody of other fantasies. There's some highly original stuff in this very first Discworld novel that would have been enough to arouse my interest in continuing reading the series, even if I hadn't already read a later book. My favorite is the Luggage, whom I want for a pet even if it does have some homicical tendencies.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy, humor, humorous fantasy, parody, and just good writing. I've even recommended it to friends who don't normally read fantasy. A solid 4 out of 5 stars.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: