Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Review of Tarzan Triumphant (Tarzan # 15)


Tarzan Triumphant (Ace SF Classic, F-194) Tarzan Triumphant by Edgar Rice Burroughs


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
First loves are always remembered. This was the first Edgar Rice Burroughs book I ever read, and I still find it enjoyable. Not the best Burroughs or the best of the Tarzan series, it still is a fast moving adventure, with some likeable characters and a very interesting lost civilization. If possible, find a copy of the Ace paperback with the classic Roy Krenkel cover, as I think it's one of the best artist renditions of Tarzan ever.

Anyone looking for deeper levels beyond just a great adventure story can find out a lot about Burroughs feelings regarding organized religion and the Soviet Union by reading this book as well (hint: he wasn't a fan of either).

I highly recommend this book.

Note: Strangely enough, this was the first Tarzan book (and Edgar Rice Burroughs book) I ever read. I say strangely because I bought both Tarzan of the Apes (the first novel in the Tarzan series) and Tarzan Triumphant on the same night. Why I read the 15th novel in the series first instead of the 1st novel is anybody's guess, but I was always a contrarian.




View all my reviews.

No comments: